Retainers and Appliances
Living With Orthodontic Appliances
The removable appliance is carefully designed to move or to hold your teeth. It is important that it is worn according to instructions and brought to each appointment.
Retainer Color Picker
Click on the image below to launch the braces color picker. It will launch our module in a separate window and may help you select which colors you'd like your braces to be.
Wear your appliance at all times, even while you are asleep. It may be removed while eating, swimming, or playing vigorous sports activities. In two or three days your speech will return to normal with the appliance in place. Avoid flipping your appliance with your tongue. This can cause damage to your teeth or breakage of your appliance.
Your new appliance may make your teeth sore for a day or two, especially after an adjustment. If you have a sore spot on your gums call our office at Mint Orthodontics Somerville Orthodontic Office Phone Number (908) 526-0808 so that we can adjust the appliance.
Caring for Your Orthodontic Appliance
- Clean your appliance by brushing it daily with toothpaste. Denture cleaner can also be used for a more thorough cleaning.
- If you are wearing a bonded wire retainer behind your front teeth, be extra careful to clean the wire and the area around it.
- Flossing should be done every day.
- Never wrap your orthodontic appliance in a paper napkin or tissue and set it down on the table. You or someone else may throw it away.
- Don’t put it in your pocket when playing or you may break or lose it.
- Whenever your appliance is not in your mouth it should be in its plastic appliance case.
- Keep your orthodontic appliance away from dogs or cats, as they love to chew on them.
- Avoid storing them near any source of heat.
- Do not boil your retainer to sterilize it! If needed, bring it to the office and we will be happy to disinfect it for you.
Important: An additional charge will be incurred for lost or broken appliances.